Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Taking Cues from Radiohead and Pink Floyd

A friend shared this with me, and it is definitely worth checking out. It only increases my respect for Radiohead:

 http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/ .

I have been listening to this for the past hour or so and the two albums, OK Computer and In Rainbows (which happen to be my two favorite Radiohead albums, anyways), flow together flawlessly.  I can definitely see the argument that it was done intentionally. It's kind of like (although, not really) the whole Pink Floyd and Wizard of Oz thing, only there is proof that Radiohead did this intentionally --- above and beyond rumors.

The Pink Floyd thing is mere speculation, and the members of the band deny the correlation between the album and the movie, but, well, check it out for yourself: put Dark Side of the Moon on repeat and start it at the third lion's roar at the beginning of The Wizard of Oz.  The album will play through about two and a half times, and there are moments with each repetition where the music and the movie flow eerily well together.  And no, the first time I did this I was not stoned, so it is not necessary (although it does add to the effect).

I think it would be fun to combine the two ideas: record two albums that mesh together like Radiohead's OK Computer and In Rainbows and, at the same time, make the albums (meshed together) work as a cooler soundtrack to a movie (preferably one that is already popular or familiar).  I have some ideas for movies, but, well, that is something I am going to keep to myself  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment